The U.S. Department of Energy`s Atmospheric Radiation Measurement (ARM) Program is expanding the radar capabilities at its ARM Climate Research Facilities (ACRF). This involves the addition of High Spectral Resolution Lidars (HSRL) operating at our North Slope of Alaska, Barrow, Research Site and with our second ARM Mobile Facility designed for operation in marine environments. The HSRL is a class of elastic LIDAR with the capability of distinguishing between photons scattered from molecules and those scattered by aerosol or cloud particles. This measurement selectivity is achieved with the use of very narrow bandwidth filters in order to isolate the aerosol return from the Doppler broadened molecular return. This enables independent retrieval of aerosol backscatter and extinction coefficients, while providing significantly better measurement sensitivity as compared to the Raman lidar technique.
Battelle, Pacific Northwest Division, Management & Operating Contractor of the U.S. Department of Energy`s Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL), is requesting information from prospective offers to provide HSRL in accordance with the following:
• Wavelength = 532 nm using frequency stabilized laser
• Laser pulse width ~40 ns
• Repetition rate ~ 4 kHz
• Reciever field of view: ~45 microradian to minimize multiple scattering
• Reciever aperture: 40 cm
• Reciever spectral bandpass: 6 GHz (pressure tuned etalon)
• Aerosol blocking filter bandwidth: 1.8 GHz
• Data acquisition system: photon counting
• Altitude range: 0 to 30 km
• Time resolution: ~2.5 s
• Vertical resolution: 7.5 m
• Enclosure, configuration, and environmental design suitable for arctic, tropic, and marine environments
• Eye safe laser energy levels at the exit of system optics
• Low Maintenance, 24 hour, 7 day/week operations
• Installation completion by 9/30/2010 - project timelines are critical and will be monitored. Early delivery is preferred.
Interested firms shall also provide information in the following areas as available:
1) A description of current experience, knowledge and capabilities directly applicable to the performance of the scope identified.
2) Brochures providing descriptions of equipment, maintenance and standard warranty, along with a current published commercial pricelist.
This Request for Information (RFI) is part of a market research effort that will best address PNNL`s needs. This RFI is issued for information and planning purposes only and does not constitute a solicitation. Battelle does not intend to award a contract on the basis of this RFI, or to otherwise pay for information received in response to this RFI.
Please provide your expression of interest to the attention of the points of contact listed below.
If you have questions or need additional information, they must also be submitted in writing to the points of contact.